Indians successfully made the shift from being pet owners ten years ago to being pet parents today thanks to their love and compassion for animals, especially dogs. With more discretionary cash, more individuals are keeping and spending on pets. Therefore, it is not surprising that India has the world’s fastest-expanding pet care market.
This could also be the reason why dog health insurance, which is a booming business outside of India, is starting to grow. There has always been insurance for cattle and livestock, but with people spending Rs 70,000–80,000 a year on dogs, insurance for these pets is now picking up.
What Is Included?
There are two primary covers for operations and hospitalisation, and there are six add-on covers or riders, including third-party liability, OPD, and care for terminal illnesses.
When applying for coverage, all insurers normally require some sort of identification, which can range from a colour photo and a nose print to a photo of a microchip or RFID tag.
Limitations & exclusions
Insurers normally have waiting periods of 15 to 30 days before the cover begins and have an age limit for the pet of 8 weeks to 8 years. Each insurer also charges a co-pay or deductible. Additionally, pre-existing conditions and particular ailments like rabies and distemper, which cause the pet’s passing away, are not covered by insurance.
Selecting the right pet insurance plan can be a demanding task, but with a little research, you can find the perfect plan to suit your pet’s needs. Here are a few tips to help you choose the right pet insurance plan:
- Understand your pet’s needs: Different pets have different health requirements. Consider your pet’s age, breed, and any pre-existing conditions they may have when selecting a plan.
- Check coverage: Look for a plan that covers the specific medical conditions, treatments, and procedures that your pet may need throughout its Make sure you comprehend what is and isn’t covered before you choose a plan.
- Compare costs: Compare premiums, deductibles, and co-pays for different plans. Keep in mind that the lowest-costing plan may not always be the best option, and the most expensive plan may not be the most comprehensive pet insurance for dogs.
- Read reviews: Look for reviews of pet insurance India companies and plans from other pet owners to get a feel of their experiences with different providers.
- Consider customer service: Check the pet insurance company’s customer service reputation and policies, as you will need to be able to depend on them in case of an emergency.
- Understand the waiting period: Some pet insurance India plans to have a waiting period before they take effect. Make sure you understand how long the waiting period is before you choose a plan.
- Choose a reputable provider: Choose a pet insurance company that has a good reputation and a long-standing track record of providing quality service and coverage.
- By considering these factors and doing some research, you can find pet insurance for dogs plan that meets your pet’s needs.
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.